According to George Cook of WVNET this cluster has been up for over 10 years.
WVNET is the West Virginia Network, a dynamic service organization providing telecommunications and computing services within West Virginia. WVNET was created in 1975 to provide central computing facilities and wide-area network communications linking its "central site" computing resources in Morgantown with the campus computing systems at most of the colleges and universities throughout the state.
The cluster consists of
- Alpha 4100 (with four 533Mhz CPUs) running VMS 7.3-2
- VAX 6000-630 running VMS 7.3
- four DEC 3000 workstations running VMS 7.3-2
The cluster provides a variety of services:
- Runs the Banner student information system (on Oracle) for one of the member institutions of higher education.
- Runs multiple Oracle/Banner test databases to support Banner running on VMS at some of other member institutions.
- Is the Usenet news server (running DNEWS).
- Is one of the Domain Name (DNS) servers for several hundred domains.
- Provides DHCP, Bootp, Kerberos and print services
- Hosts the VMS Mosaic web site and ftp server.
The Uptime Project:
Posted on OSNews...